Calling all kids who love to design buildings with candy, frosting, and graham crackers! Are you in a competitive mood this year? Then we have the perfect activity for you.
Come to Curbside Pickup starting December 5 to get your supply packs full of goodies for you to build a gingerbread house out of graham crackers, frosting, and candy. When you are finished, submit your pictures to Miss Laura ( email@example.com ) or Miss Julie ( firstname.lastname@example.org ) or through the attached form at the bottom of this page to be eligible to win a $5 Target gift card. On December 12, Miss Julie and Miss Laura will live stream their attempt to build a gingerbread house and announce the winner at the end of the program.
Here are the rules for this fun event:
- Call the reference desk at (815) 756-9568 to reserve your kit. Or, stop by the library during curbside pickup hours and we will hand you a kit if there are any left. We expect these to go fast, so don’t delay! Curbside hours are:
Mondays, 4:00 – 7:00 p.m.
Wednesdays, 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Thursdays, 4:00 – 7:00 p.m.
Saturdays, 1:00 – 4:00 p.m.
- To be eligible for the $5 gift card, you have to use just what is in your kit. You don’t have to use all of it, but you cannot add to it. The included card stock is for supporting your building.
- If you simply cannot resist adding more materials to your build, you will not be able to win the gift card, but you will be eligible to win Best of Show. So if titles mean more than money to you, by all means, build the biggest, fanciest house you can dream up.
- When you are done, and before you start to eat your creation, take a picture and submit it to the library. Half-eaten houses will not be considered prize-worthy, so please take your pictures right away!
- Tune in to the library’s live stream event on December 12 at 10 AM. Anyone who can manage to sit through Miss Laura and Miss Julie telling jokes and building their own creations will get to hear who the winner is at the end of the stream.*
- This is a Children’s Department program, so anyone who is 12 years old or younger is eligible to enter.
Here is the form you can use to submit your photos:
* Winners need not be present. If you cannot abide our joke telling, we will e-mail you after the program if you have won.