Friends of the Library
About the Friends
The Friends of the DeKalb Public Library is a non-profit, volunteer community service organization that raises funds to support library programs and to purchase library books and materials. The group raises money by organizing used book sales in the fall and spring and by selling used books year-round on shelves on the main floor and lower level. Since 2018, the sale of books has raised nearly $55,000 for the library.
Funded by the Friends
- Prizes for the summer reading programs
- Eight Countries in One Day
- Children’s performers
- Programming designed for people with autism
- Storywalk in a DeKalb park
- Materials and instructors for art projects
- Stone Soup Shakespeare, a troupe that adapts plays for children and performs in the park
Support the Friends with a Donation
THE FRIENDS BOOK SALE
Click here for more information!
You can join the Friends for as little as $10.00.
Benefits of membership include:
- Early access to the book sales the evening before they are open to the public
- Volunteer opportunities at the sales
- Information about what’s happening at the library
- Participation in allocation decisions at monthly board meetings
Memberships are generally renewed annually in January. However, if you renewed or joined after July 1, your membership is current through the next calendar year. Your membership card and welcome letter provide information about your renewal date. Questions about membership can be emailed to secretary Deborah Booth at [email protected].
There are two ways to become a member or renew your membership.
Option One – ONLINE
- Complete and submit the online form.
- Pay the fee corresponding to your membership level, either by using the online platform or by mailing a check.*
- If you pay online, you will be asked if you want to add the small service fee that the platform deducts from the amount received by the Friends. This is of course voluntary, but would be appreciated.
Option Two – BY MAIL
- Print the form available as a pdf on the website.
- Mail with your check.*
* Make your check payable to Friends DKPL and mail to Friends of the DeKalb Public Library, Treasurer, 309 Oak St, DeKalb, IL 60115.