Self-Guided Walking Tour #2 – North First to North Fourth
220 North Third – 1910
Dance studio Just for Kix is located in the former Christian Science Church. The columned portico and steeple are later additions to the structure.
309 Oak – 1930/1931
DeKalb Public Library. Known as the Haish Memorial Library, the original section was paid for with a $150,000 bequest from barbed wire philanthropist Jacob Haish. The modern addition was completed in January 2016, costing $25.3 million.
310 Oak – 1937
Finch Funeral Home and Crematorium. This was originally the Nelson Funeral Home.
321 Oak – 1908
First United Methodist Church. This is the congregation’s third church along Fourth
Street. They are currently fundraising to build on an outlying site.
330 North Fourth
This home was moved to this location in 1884 from the northwest corner of Third and Pine Streets. This was once the home of Jacob Haish. Note the gable trim.
321 Pine – 1894
St. Mary’s Church. Construction started in 1894 and the building was dedicated in 1901. It replaced a small church from 1861
324 North Third – 1916 – Gothic Revival Architecture
First Lutheran Church was dedicated June 2, 1916. It was the third church to serve the congregation.
329 North Third – 1884
Designed by George Otis Garnsey for Hiram Ellwood, secretary and general manager of Superior Barbed Wire Company. It remained in his family until 1955. Restored 30 years ago for $1 million.
227 Pine – 1885
From 1885 until 1961 the Jacob Haish Mansion stood here. It was torn down and became the parking lot for the First Lutheran Church in September 1961.
421 – 423 North Third – 1884 – Queen Anne Architecture
This was the carriage house of the Jacob Haish Mansion. It was converted to apartments over 100 years ago.