Self-Guided Walking Tour: Huntley Park Historic District and Vicinity

Nov 2, 2021 | Adults, Personal Enrichment, Personal Enrichment, Reading, Writing, and Storytelling, Reading, Writing, and Storytelling, Seniors

South Second and South Third Streets south of Franklin, to where the brick pavement ends on each, were designated a local historic district by the City of DeKalb in the early 1980s. Some of the places of special significance include:

320 South Second – circa 1910
St. George’s Greek Orthodox Church. Originally St. Paul’s Episcopal Church. Designed by John Lutcliffe. In the alley
behind the church is a meeting room that was part of St. Paul’s Episcopal Church built in 1877/1878.

Between Second and Third, Prospect and Garden Streets

Huntley Park. This was the public square in 1853. Originally owned by the City of DeKalb, until turned over to the DeKalb Park District in 1935.

403 South Second – circa 1875
Designed by then-contractor Jacob Haish and purchased by farmer Rollin Dodge. The present owner is only its second owner in 145 years.

407 South Second – 1879 – Italianate Architecture
Designed and built by carpenter Elvin Ney for dry goods dealer H. H. Wagner.

517 South Second – 1879 – Italianate Worker’s Cottage
Designed and built by Elven Ney. Originally occupied by Matilda Wagner, stepmother of H.H. Wagner of 407 South Second.

530 South Second – 1853 – Plain Frame Architecture (with later alterations)
The original owner is said to have been Charles Flinn, an early grocer.

404 and 408 South Third
A pair of brick bungalows occupying the site of South School, which was destroyed by fire on January 22, 1903. 404 is the older of the two.

349 South Third – 1888 – Gothic Revival Architecture
First Baptist Church. This is DeKalb’s oldest religious congregation, having originally met on September 29, 1844. Enlarged and remodeled over time.

320 Prospect – circa 1895
This was erected as the carriage house of 329 South Fourth. Native DeKalbians say the structure was originally octagonal-shaped.

329 South Fourth – circa 1895
The Edward Shellaberger House. Shellaburger owned the DeKalb Fence Company and Commercial Trust and Savings
Bank. He had the McCabe’s Tavern building constructed to be the bank’s headquarters. The north one-story wing of the residence contained the dining room.

304 South Fourth – circa 1886 -1888
Built for prominent dairy and creamery owner Henry B. Gurler. Designed by Chicago architect George Otis Garnsey, original architect of Ellwood House.

305 South Third – circa 1890 – Italianate Architecture
Shipman/Bradt House. Madison Shipman was a son-in-law of Andrew Brady and was involved in Bradt’s wholesale glove business.



Accessibility Toolbar