DeKalb County Banks
First National Bank of Malta | Located at South Third and East Adam Street, started business in 1901. The building’s exterior still remains much the way it was almost 120 years ago. This bank was the forerunner of today’s Resource Bank.
First National Bank, DeKalb | Located at 164 East Lincoln Highway, started in the original red brick Queen Anne that underwent two remodels to bring it to how it looks today. IN 1892, when new, the building was DeKalb National Bank. The present First National on West Lincoln Highway came to DeKalb from Omaha, Nebraska in the early 200s. 164 East Lincoln is now DeKalb City Hall.
Resource Bank’s Sycamore Branch | Located at 351 North Main Street is the 1905/1906 garage of banker Frederick B. Townsend. It cost $3,000 and was originally used to house a pair of $900 Cadillacs belonging to him and his brother-in-law Elmer Boynton.
First Midwest Bank | At 230 West State Street in Sycamore, bought out longtime Sycamore bank, The National Bank and Trust Company in 2015. National Bank and Trust traded its origins back to 1867 Daniel Pierce and Company.
Kingston Bank | Actual name unknown. Started in 1888 at 126 South Main Street by Marcus W. Cole, originally a hardware merchant. Located in the adjacent two-story brick building after 1893.
Kirkland Bank | At Fifth and South Streets was started by Boyd Rowan in 1882. In 1883 he went into partnership with B. N. Dean, the business then becoming Dean + Rowan.
DeKalb County Cemeteries
Oak Mound | Often mistakenly thought of as the cemetery of the United Presbyterian Church on Chicago Road at Howison. In actuality, it is nothing more than the Somonauk Township cemetery, dating from the earl 1840s. It has a 1,070 foot long ornate cement fence, with bronze gates weight 1,300 pounds each.
Ohio Grove | On Barber Greene Road between Somonauk and Airport Roads, was establish in 1839. Marilla Churchill Kenyon, who died in 1940, had her body stolen from its grave here by medical students from St. Charles.
Greenwood | On Somonauk Road, south of Route 30, dates from 1878. John S. Sebree, the first permanent white settler in DeKalb County in 1834 is buried here. The mount the cemetery is on is a natural formation, not manmade.
Johnson’s Grove | On Shabbona Grove Road, west of Leland Road, is also known as South Clinton Township Cemetery. Its starting date is not preserved in the county histories. Harvey E. Allen, DeKalb’s first mayor, from 1877-1879, is buried here.
Victor Cemetery / Victor Burying Ground | Located on Leland Road, south of Suydam Road, started in 1867. The present entrance dates from 1926. Hopestill Fritz, who died in 1844, was a heroine of the Revolutionary War and is buried her.
Hicks Mill / Cronktown Cemetery | Dates from 1862. It is a hilltop cemetery on Irene Road, south of Route 72. The Cronkhite family settled here in the late 1830s. William T. Kirk, the namesake of Kirkland, is buried here.
South Grove Cemetery | Located on Malta Road, south of Old State Road, dates to 1845. Sections of original wrought-iron fencing can be seen on its south end.