We are over a month into Summer Reading! Great job to all who have participated and even completed the challenge. To those who have not, there is still time! Sign-up and read at least 10 hours by August 12 to win cool prizes and a chance at winning one of the grand prizes. For more information about summer reading and how to sign-up, check out this post.
Here is why you should join us for Summer Reading:
- Prevent “Summer Slide”
- Children who do not read during the summer can lose up to two months of learning by the time they return to school in the fall.
- Build a Bridge
- Children who participate in Summer Reading Programs and read a minimum of six books over the summer score higher in reading AND math when they return to school.
- Increase Literacy and Confidence
- Parents of children enrolled in a public library summer reading program reported their children spent more time reading over the summer, read more books, were well prepared for school in the fall, and read more confidently.
- Succeed in School and Life
- Children and young adults need ongoing opportunities to learn and practice essential skills. Summer Reading reminds kids that reading is for fun – as well as for learning.
- Experience the Library
- There is so much to see and do at your library! There is no better place to take your kids. The library is a place to learn, read, and have fun… a place the whole family can enjoy.
Source: Dominican University IMLS-funded research: Public Library Summer Reading Programs Close the Reading Gap https://www.ireadprogram.org/content/documents/report.pdf