The library will host events and informational booths from Monday, June 6 through Saturday, June 11 as part of Autism Acceptance Week! This initiative is partnership with the Friends of the Library, RAMP, Westside Children’s Therapy, and the NIU Autism Caregivers Group. All Cody Clark events are sponsored by the Friends of the Library.
- Sensory Friendly Cat Yoga on Monday, June 6 at 2:00 p.m. Registration required.
- Your Differences Make You Magical on Wednesday, June 8 at 7:00 p.m.
- All Aboard with Conductor Cody on Thursday, June 9 at 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m.
- Conductor Cody’s Railroad Submarine on Friday, June 10 at 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m.
- Cody’s Sensory Friendly Spectacular on Saturday, June 11 at 2:00 p.m.
In addition to events, the library will host informational booths in the main lobby for our partners to spread information about their respective services.
RAMP is a non-profit, non-residential Center for Independent Living (CIL) that emulates the Independent Living Philosophy with a mission to build an inclusive community that encourages individuals with disabilities to reach their full potential. Oftentimes they meet with individuals who have experienced a traumatic or life-changing event (i.e. child recently diagnosed with a disability, accident resulting in permanent disability, etc.). These life-changing events can leave an individual reeling, as well as their family, and not knowing where to turn or what to do.
- Wednesday, June 8, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
Westside Children’s Therapy is not “just another” therapy provider. They offer an alternative to families that is above and beyond. ABA Therapy is an evidence-based therapy service used to address individual needs in the areas of cognitive, behavioral, social, and executive functioning. ABA is recommended as the best practice treatment for individuals with autism by both the US Surgeon General and by the American Psychological Association.
- Thursday, June 9, 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- Friday, June 10, 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- Saturday, June 11, 1:00 – 3:00 p.m.
The Northern Illinois University Autism Caregiver Group is a group of NIU faculty and students with interests in supporting families to those with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD). Their focus is to provide helpful information, resources and a supportive environment while also providing families with opportunities to connect with community professionals and therapeutic or recreational activities.
- Thursday, June 9, 10:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
- Friday, June 10, 10:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.