Annie and Emma are coming to the library! Annie and Emma are collies, and both have earned their Canine Good Citizen title from the American Kennel Club. They will be visiting the library in September and October to participate in Read to Rover programs. They love people and cannot wait to help children learn to read!
The Benefits of Read to Rover
- A non-judgmental listener
- An increased comfort in reading aloud
- The achievement of higher reading levels
- More empathy and enhanced social skills
- Improved confidence and less shyness
- Associating reading out loud with fun and anticipation, instead of fear and dread
- Lower blood pressure, heart rate and stress levels from petting an animal
For more information, check out these sources: Reading with Rover- Why it Works, READING TO ROVER: Does it really help children? Veterinary school says ‘yes’, and Reading to Rover benefits kids and canines alike
How to Sign Up
Annie or Emma are currently scheduled to be at the library Thursday September 16 @ 1:00 PM – 2:00 PM, Saturday September 25 @ 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM, Saturday October 9 @ 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM, and Thursday October 21 @ 1:00 PM – 2:00 PM. Sign up for a 10-minute slot either in-person at the children’s reference desk, by phone, or by emailing [email protected].