Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month is recognized each May and celebrates the cultures, heritage, and many achievements of the diverse Asian American and Pacific Islander Americans within and contributing to the history of the United States. We believe AAPI heritage should be celebrated year-round and have updated our Teen booklist to include new titles about and from authors who are part of the AAPI community.
AAPI Heritage honors those with ancestry from the following regions:
- East Asia- China, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Macau, Mongolia, the Ryukyu Islands, Taiwan, and Tibet.
- South Asia- Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka.
- Southeast Asia- Brunei, Cambodia, Timor-Leste, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, and Vietnam.
- Melanesia- Fiji, New Caledonia, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, and Vanuatu.
- Micronesia- the Caroline Islands (Federated States of Micronesia and Palau), the Gilbert Islands (Kiribati), the Mariana Islands (Northern Mariana Islands and Guam), the Marshall Islands, and Nauru.
- Polynesia- Cook Islands, Hawaii, New Zealand, Samoa, Tahiti, Tonga, and Tuvalu.