… and there is more yet to come! This month has seen us try our hand at in-person programming, and we are so pleased with how things have gone. In this time of uncertainty, it is nice to see that our patrons take safety as seriously as we do, and willing adherence to mask-wearing and social distancing has enabled us to present several in-person programs, with more on the horizon.
We started out small by offering Story Time at Huntley Park at 9:00 a.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Miss Laura and Mr. John have had a lot of fun reading and singing songs with the kids, and the weather has been ever so lovely. If you are interested in joining future Story Time events at Huntley, check out the information here.
Our first big program was the Animal Show at Hopkins Park on August 13. The weather was perfect, the animals were adorable, and the kids seems to enjoy themselves. Check out our slideshow to see some of the different animals that came:
In addition, several families won a raffle to have some one-on-one time with the animals:
Finally, on Saturday the 15, Miss Julie and Miss Laura hosted Family Fun Science: Kites! at Annie’s Woods. While we got a couple of raindrops at the end of the program, the rest of the morning was gorgeous and everyone had a fun time building their kites. Here are some pictures from this event:
But the month is not over, so if you are looking for some fun indoor or outdoor activities, checkout these upcoming events:
- Every Monday, Miss Jen reads books on-line in a program called Virtual Bedtime Stories at Home at 6:00 p.m. Admission to a Facebook group is necessary, so find out more information here: https://dkpl.org/event/virtual-bedtime-stories-at-home-3/2020-08-24/
- Story Time at Huntly Park is every Tuesday and Thursday at 9:00a.m. https://dkpl.org/event/story-time-huntley-park/2020-08-18/
- Virtual Stories at Home is every Tuesday and Thursday at 10:00 a.m. and requires you to be added to a Facebook group. Here’s more information: https://dkpl.org/event/virtual-stories-at-home-4/2020-08-18/
- Lego Picnic is August 18 at 9:00 a.m. Registration is required: https://dkpl.org/event/lego-picnic/
- Virtual Princess Story Time takes place every Wednesday at 10:00 a.m., and this program also requires you to be added to the Facebook group. Every week, the storyteller portrays a different character. Find out more here: https://dkpl.org/event/virtual-princess-story-time-dorothy/
- On the 1st Friday of the month, Angie Carter does Virtual Music for Babies: https://dkpl.org/event/virtual-music-for-babies/
On the 3rd Friday of the month, Angie Carter does Virtual Music for Toddlers: https://dkpl.org/event/virtual-music-for-toddlers/ Both the baby and toddler programs are essentially the same, so feel free to join in regardless of the age of your youngster!
- Friday, August 28 at 3:00p.m. is Lego Zoom. Click here to get information on how to register: https://dkpl.org/event/virtual-lego-club-animated-characters/
- Miss Laura runs two books clubs. To get ready to join September’s discussion, here are the books that you should be reading now:
B.A.R.B. (Books Are Really Brilliant!) Book Club (3rd-5th grade) is reading Elvis and the Underdogs by Jenny Lee and can be found on Hoopla: https://dkpl.org/e-books/ This book will be discussed on Tuesday, September 15, at 1:30 p.m.
Bookworm Barbs Book Club (1st-3rd grade) is reading Lulu and the Duck in the Park by Hilary McKay. This book is also available on Hoopla. This book will be discussed on Tuesday, September, 22, at 1:30pm.
Registration is not available for these clubs yet, but check the September calendar at the beginning of the month.
We hope to see you at some of our programs! Have a great rest of the month, DeKalb!