In special meeting on June 24, the DeKalb Public Library Board of Trustees voted to re-open the library for limited in-person services on Monday, July 6.
The new hours will be as follows:
- Monday, 1:00 – 9:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Thursday, 1:00 – 9:00 p.m.
- Friday, 1:00 – 5:00 p.m.
- Saturday, 1:00 – 5:00 p.m.
- Sunday, 1:00 – 5:00 p.m.
Patrons will be able to visit the library to use the Internet computers, browse materials, and pick up items on hold. The Teen Room, children’s Tree Room, study rooms, and meeting rooms will remain closed to the public. Library programs and events will continue to be provided virtually using forums such as Zoom, Facebook Live, and webinars. An upcoming schedule of events can be found on the library’s Calendar of Events page. We will also continue to update our virtual resources such as databases, links to worldwide virtual activities, and downloadable materials including books, audio books, and movies.
In addition to the new open hours, the library will continue to provide curbside pickup hours to individuals who are uncomfortable entering the library. They are as follows:
- Monday, 4:00 – 7:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- Thursday, 4:00 – 7:00 p.m.
- Saturday, 1:00 – 4:00 p.m.
Patrons will be required to wear face masks and practice social distancing while at the library. If you are medically unable to wear a face covering the library will provide accommodations. The library will continue to quarantine returned materials for three days. Items will remain on the patron’s account during the quarantine time.
Out of an abundance of caution and to reduce the spread of Covid-19 there are a few changes that patrons will see when visiting the library. These changes have been put in place with the help of DeKalb County Health Department and in accordance with State safety guidelines.
- Computers for public use will be limited to accommodate social distancing. Sessions will be first come, first served, and time limits will be in place.
- Seating will be limited to accommodate social distancing.
- Newspapers will be single use, and will be distributed on a first come, first serve basis, limit one per patron.
- Cleaning protocols will be increased, and some machinery will be unavailable.
- Transparent barriers will be placed around all service desks.
- “Used Item” carts will be placed around the library. Patrons are encouraged to place items on the these carts if they have handled an item that they do not wish to check out.
- Directional signage will be placed throughout the building.
The library is excited to be able to once again provide in-person services for our patrons. The Board of Trustees puts the health and safety of library staff and patrons above all else.
For additional information or questions about the re-opening process, please contact Director Emily Faulkner at firstname.lastname@example.org or at (815) 756-9568 ext. 1000.