“A children’s story that can only be enjoyed by children is not a good children’s story in the slightest.”
― C.S. Lewis
The Children’s Department has come up with a new project, but we need your help! We want to turn your dual loves of reading and our town into a coloring page for all to enjoy. Here’s our idea of how this will work:
- Grab your favorite children’s book… it doesn’t matter how old it is, or if you haven’t actually read it in years. If it was your favorite and you still consider it a good book, by all means, use it! As C.S. Lewis implies in his quote above, children’s books are for everyone!
- Once you have selected your book, decide on your favorite spot in DeKalb. Yes, DeKalb… we love Sycamore and Cortland, too, but this project is meant to highlight the wonderful city of DeKalb. If you are a patron with no business ties, find a park, or a landmark, or someplace else that could be considered a destination.
- With safety and social distancing in mind, go to that place, pose as if you were reading the book, and have someone snap a picture of you. It could be just you, or you with your spouse, kids, or grandkids… whatever you feel safe doing.
- If you are a local business owner or farmer, we would love for you to take a picture of yourself reading in front of, or inside of, your shop or place of work. If you could include the name of your shop or your logo in the picture, that would be fantastic, too! If you are working from home but still want your business included, then find a creative way of doing so. We would love to see what you can come up with.
- Finally, send your digital photos to Miss Julie at email@example.com.
Please include the following information:
- The name of the people in the picture. For instance, “Melody and her children…” , or “The Smith Family…”, etc. If you don’t want to identify children by name, there is no need to do so.
- The title and author of the book you are reading.
- The location of the picture. For instance, “XYZ Park on our favorite bench”, or “Inside ABC Coffee Shoppe”, etc.
- Miss Julie will turn each photo into a hand drawn coloring sheet that includes a caption with your submitted information at the bottom of the sheet, along with the DeKalb Public Library’s Logo and hours.
- The coloring sheets will then be uploaded onto our website for you to print out, color, and distribute as you wish.
We can’t do this without you, DeKalb! Now is your chance to have a coloring page of your very own while also supporting our community, our library, and reading, all at the same time. We can’t wait to get started!