Today the library is open from: 9am-9pm
 

Reading, Writing, and Storytelling

Self-Guided Walking Tour: Huntley Park Historic District and Vicinity

Self-Guided-walking-tour-3Download South Second and South Third Streets south of Franklin, to where the brick pavement ends on each, were designated a local historic district by the City of DeKalb in the early 1980s. Some of the places of special significance include: 320 ...

read more

Self-Guided Walking Tour: North First to North Fourth

Self-Guided-walking-tour-2Download Self-Guided Walking Tour #2 - North First to North Fourth 220 North Third - 1910 Dance studio Just for Kix is located in the former Christian Science Church. The columned portico and steeple are later additions to the structure. 309 Oak – 1930/1931DeKalb ...

read more

Self-Guided Walking Tour: College and Augusta Avenues

Self-Guided-walking-tour-4Download College and Augusta Avenues comprise a large portion of the locally designed Ellwood Historic Neighborhood. The area began developing with the opening of Northern Illinois State Normal School (NIU) in the fall of 1899. By the early 1920s, College, Augusta, ...

read more

DeKalb County Tours: Downtown Oddities

DeKalb-County-Spots-and-Tours-Downtown-odditiesDownload DeKalb Remembering Phineas Vaughan | DeKalb’s foremost Blacksmith was Phineas (Uncle Phin) Vaughan. His freestanding shop was located at 325 East Lincoln Highway. The building was solid stone, and since November of 2008 its original east wall has been visible from ...

read more

DeKalb County Tours: Barbed Wire Factories

DeKalb-Barbed-Wire-FactoriesDownload Barb Fence Company | 1875 - Located at 128-140 South Second Street, DeKalb. The former Illinois Historic Preservation Agency always considered this factory to be the world’s first barbed wire factory. Isaac Ellwood and Joseph Glidden were partners here until ...

read more

DeKalb County Tours: Ellwood Family Homes

DeKalb-County-Spots-and-Tours-Ellwood-Family-HomesDownload DeKalb 205 Pine Street, DeKalb | 1857. Well known since its historic preservation crisis in the late 1970s as Gurler House, it started life as an Ellwood Family home. Ellzey and Alida Ellwood Young were its original owners. They chose Midwest ...

read more