November 14th, 2014
Author and antiques expert Mark F. Moran of Iola, Wisconsin will be here at the library appraising your antiques!
Formerly senior editor of Antiques and Collectibles Books for Krause Publications in Iola, Wis., Moran has also been a con-tributing editor for Antique Trader magazine. He has served as editor of Antique Review East magazine; as producer of At-lantique City, an antique show held in Atlantic City, N.J.; and as editorial director of F+W Media’s Antiques Group. He has also been active as an appraiser of antiques and fine art for more than 20 years.
Categories of objects for appraisal may include:
- Fine art, including paintings, drawings, prints and statuary
- Furniture (usually smaller pieces are best)
- Ceramics, including figural pottery, vases, dishes, kitchenware and stoneware
- Glassware, including lighting, marbles and souvenir items
- Vintage photographs, including tintypes, ambrotypes and daguerreotypes
- Advertising, including posters, lithographed tin, paper and figural objects
- Folk art, including carvings, quilts, weathervanes, windmill weights and “outsider” art
- Assorted toys, including dolls (bisque, composition and plastic), windups and mechanical banks
- Metalware, including iron, bronze, brass, pot metal, silver, silver plate
- Clocks, including mantel, hanging and figural
- Costume jewelry, including brooches, bracelets, earrings
Excluded items: all weapons, including knives (though folding knives with advertising are accepted)
- fine jewelry, including precious gems
- pocket and wristwatches
- musical instruments, including violins and wind/reed instruments (though some acoustic and early electric guitars are accepted)
Opinions of value are informal and may not be used for insurance or charitable donations, which require a certified appraisal. Please register for this free event online here or by calling 815-756-9568 ext. 260 or email [email protected]. You will be allotted five minutes for your item(s). If you have nothing to appraise – that’s okay! Stop by to watch the fun!