The DeKalb Public Library hosts an annual event titled “8 Countries in 1 Day” with funds from the Brian D. Slavenas Center of Cross-Cultural Understanding. This event is entirely FREE and open to all members of the public. It provides our patrons with an opportunity to experience the culture, sample the food, and learn about eight countries from around the world.
Last year “8 Countries in 1 Day” was held in September and October and was attended by over 600 people between the two days. We had Polish dancers, Henna art, Swedish meatballs, Indonesian martial arts, and much more. Participants who visited each country, housed at various locations throughout the library, were entered into a raffle to win prizes. We also hosted a raffle that could entered by bringing in canned food or cash. We gave away over 25 prizes which included a light-up globe that showed the constellations, various flags for the countries represented, a tote bag full of goodies, and a Moroccan hat among others.
Last year the library partnered with five other entities: the NIU Latino Resource Center, the NIU Center for Southeast Asian Studies, the NIU Center for Black Studies, Kishwaukee College, and the First Lutheran Church.
This year, the program will be held once on Saturday, September 8 from 11:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. We are excited to bring the culture, music, and food of eight different countries to our patrons and to the DeKalb community as a whole.
The library invites ANY organization to partner with us and provide a booth for this year’s “8 Countries” event! Being a partner will allow your organization to be a part of a wonderful community event and to showcase a country of your choosing. We will not repeat countries we have done in the past, but there are still plenty to choose from.
If you would like to partner with us for this event, here is what you can expect from us:
- Your organization will be listed on our “8 Countries” brochures and in any publicity that we do to promote the event (and we will be doing quite a bit).
- Funds contributed will be matched up to a certain amount by the library. Please contact us for more details.
- Library staff will be available to help with setup on the day of the event.
- The library will provide laptops, projector and screen if needed.
- If you are a restaurant you are more than welcome to use this as an opportunity to provide your own food and promote your business as long as your food stays true to your chosen country’s origin.
Here is what we expect from partners:
- Planning, coordinating, and providing one country for the entire event
- Provide food, an interactive activity, a performance, and a craft for their country
- Coordinate any entertainment and collaborate with the library on when a performance can occur
- Communicate on an as-needed basis with the library point person
Partners can also provide giveaways at their booths or contribute raffle prizes to the main table.
We hope that you consider joining us for this fun and informative event! We have had great success in the past. If you are interested in partnering with the library, please contact us at [email protected] or at (815) 756-9568 ext. 1701.