What we know as the DeKalb Public Library began life in the 1880s as a reading room, staffed entirely by volunteers and populated with donated books. In 1893 the City Council established a public library in a room on the second floor of City Hall, which was then located at 125 South Second Street. By 1895 the library was growing, but it lacked adequate funds to serve the public and nearly closed down. Into this breach marched Annie Glidden and the ladies of the Library Whist Club who donated a portion of their card winnings to the Library for the purchase of books. This partnership continues to this day.